BB-8 Droid by Sphero
The Star Wars gadgets that’s App controlled is heaps of fun.
Do you get excited by the coolest gadgets that are shown in Science Fiction Hollywood movies? Like the invisibility cloak from Harry Potter series, the Teleporter from Star Trek, Iron Man’s Super Suit, the Neutralyzer from Men in Black, Super Touch Screen from Minority Report, what about the Pip-Boy that comes with the Limited Fallout4 Pip-Boy edition-Or, wait for it, that legendary BB-8 Droid shown in Star Wars. Well, if you ever wanted to get a hold of any such thing, then you’ll be happy to know that that BB-8 from Star Trek is finally here in all it’s robot electronic circuitry glory.
The teaser of the latest Star Wars movie series, Star Wars- The Force Awakens is finally out with new mysteries and excitement. Let’s have a look at some of the following interesting facts about the new Star Wars to find out what’s so special about it:
- The Force Awakens” is a sequel to “Return of the Jedi,” which was released back in 1983.
- The old star cast is back for now.
- The famous droid R2D2 will return in this series.
- It is the third film from “Star Wars” series not directed by George Lucas.
- The new super weapon Starkiller Base is here.
- This is my favorite – The new movie introduces a new droid character named BB-8.
- BB-8 rolls along like a soccer ball and balances all by itself while a disc-like headpiece stays in place.
What is BB-8 Droid by Sphero?
Well, this new amazing gadget is one of the most talked about Star Wars Toys seen in the new movie. While the robot itself was designed by LucasFilm, a Colorado-based company Sphero has created an actual working life-sized model of this toy. This tiny replica of the droid will create chaos in your house by jumping and rolling, and you can make all this fun happen by just using your Smartphone. It can roll and balance all by itself just like you’ve seen in the teaser. Just pair it with your smartphone and BB-8 is available at your beckon call to freely explore your home, perform certain pre-programmed movements, and respond to your voice commands. Not only that, but you can also make this tiny friend roll and explore the furthermost reaches of your abode by using on-screen controls.
Design Specifications of BB-8
The Sphero BB-8 has a plastic body of about 3 inches in diameter with a tiny movable head that always remains at the top. It has been painted with markings to look like the actual BB-8 of the Star Wars.
Its internal arrangement consists of a magnet positioned at the top of the ball, a gyroscope that determines orientation, counterweights to keep it all upright, wheels to make the ball rolls and a motor to power it. Inside BB-8’s head, there are matching magnets that have little wheels underneath. The magnet, weights, wheels and a gyroscope hold the head and internals in place and keep them oriented in the same direction as you roll BB-8 around. It arrives with a thematically designed wireless charging cradle.
How to use this Star Wars Toy?
One of the most fascinating Star Wars Toys, BB-8 connects to your smartphone through a dedicated BB-8 Andoid or iOS app. Once BB-8 Droid by Sphero is fully charged, activate Bluetooth on your smartphone and launch the app. Your phone will automatically connect to this tiny robot, without any further need of manual pairing.
Once connected, you have the option to control your droid in three different modes of play: Patrol, Drive, or Message.
- Patrol: This is BB-8’s autonomous mode in which you won’t have control over its actions. You just let your cute tech toy move freely around your home. So, certainly, it will crash into feet, walls and furniture while it explores the space around it. However, by using the app, you can make it learn the ins and outs of a space to avoid future collisions.
- Drive: In this mode, there are two on-screen virtual joysticks that let you take control of BB-8 Droid by Sphero. You can move it forward and backward and steer it right or left,in any way you desire. However, it’s still tedious to perfectly drive a round sphere because you’re not always sure which direction is forward. It also features some pre-programmed motions and in this mode, you can also give the droid a temporary speed boost by pressing the button.
- Message: This mode offers “holographic messaging” feature which lets you record a video message using your Smartphone’s front facing camera and then send it to your friends with the droid. The droid itself can’t actually project a hologram, but you can project it by simply pointing the device at the droid. Center your BB-8 on an icon using your smartphone’s camera, and it will then project your message using augmented reality. It appears as if the tiny droid is projecting it.
I must say this high-tech gadget will definitely end your boredom and give an extraordinary kick to your life.
Well, the answer to the question, “Is BB-8 Droid by Sphero really worth your $150?” Depends upon whether you like the idea of Star Wars Toys or not. Well, if you love to grab things that are seen in science fiction movies or if you like to control devices and manipulate gadgets, then this is undoubtedly for you. If robotics and robots encourage you then you will never get bored of it.
BB-8 Tech Specs
• Top speed of 4.5 mph (ft/s)
• Durable poly-carbonate shell
• Bluetooth Smart BLE connection (100 foot range)
• Inductive charging (over 1 hour of play on a full charge)
• Free App: BB-8 App-Enabled Droid powered by Sphero available through iTunes or Google Play
• Internal guidance system includes a gyroscope and accelerometer.
• Height: 11.4 cm / Width: 7.3 cm / Weight ~200 g